ECA control number: 28024 (old #21929)
Record level: Listing
Record type: Timeline year
Artist time line: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Subject age: 31 years old
– In 1879 money was so tight, that Emil, Kenyon Cox and RA Blakelock would “…scrounge about for a few vegetables and throw them in a pot over the fire for dinner” Citation: The unknown night : the genius and madness of R. A. Blakelock, an American painter by Glyn Vincent, December 1, 2007, Grove/Atalantic, Inc.
– Emil held a sale through a local auction house of his paintings, 30 in all, and after the auction owed the auction house money.
– Emil looses his studio after the auction.
– Carlsen take a job working for various engravers including: John A. Lowell and Stephen Alonzo Schoff [1818 -1904].
– May of 1879 it is reported in the Boston Post “Art notes” that “…S. Emil Carlsen is making coast studies about Gloucester for a large picture he has on the easel…”
Paintings/drawings (3) :
– Nathaniel Hawthorne (Etching), 1879 [Drawing from when Carlsen worked for Stephen Alonzo Schoff [1818 -1904]]
– Last summers shoes (Etching), 1879 [Drawing from when Carlsen worked for Stephen Alonzo Schoff [1818 -1904]]
– Marine, ca.1879. [We believe this is the large easel painting referred to in a May 1, 1879 article from the Boston Post]
Exhibitions (0) :
– none known –
Articles (1) :
– Boston Post, Boston, MA, “Art notes”, Thursday, May 1, 1879, page 3, not illustrated.
Work & documents: