ECA control number: 28113 (old #23629)
Record level: Listing
Record type: Timeline year
Artist time line: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Subject age: 42 years old
United States—California—San Francisco
United States—Vermont—Lake Dunmore
– During this time in San Francisco, Emil also took up teaching at the Art Student’s League. He taught alongside fellow artist and studio mate Arthur Mathews (1860-1945) and they shared a studio at in San Rafael and then at 728 Montgomery Street across from his old school where Carlsen would teach privately and are said to have about a dozen students.
– Emil possibly visited Lake Dunmore, Vermont in 1890 where he produced several studies and paintings, if the titles of the paintings are correct.
– Carlsen may have also taken a trip to Paris as there is a painting from this time marked Paris.
– Copper bowl, white vase, cloth and onions, ca.1890.
– Still life with Shou Lao, ca.1890.
– Moonlight landscape, 1890.
– Still life in pastel, 1890.
– Still life with pottery, ca.1890.
– Lake Dunmore, VT, ca.1890.
– Peonies, ca.1890.
– Still life with grapes and pewter flagon, 1890.
– Fish and copper bowl, 1890.
– Still life with grapes and copper pots, ca.1890.
– Lakescene, ca.1890.
– [Study of] Lake Dunmore, VT, ca.1890.
– Still life with netsuki, ca.1890.
– Lake scene, 1890.
1890 San Francisco Art Association, San Francisco, CA, “[unknown exhibition]”, unknown date.
1890 National Academy of Design, New York, NY, “65th annual exhibition”, November 24 – December 21.
– The Argonaut, San Francisco, CA, “Art notes”, October 27, 1890, not illustrated.
– San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco, CA, “School of design”, September 28, 1890, page 17.
– Daily Alta California, San Francisco, CA, “Canvas and color : opening of the Art Association spring exhibition”, April 23, 1890, volume 82, number 113, not illustrated.
Work & documents: