ECA control number: 22414
Record level: Listing
Record type: Timeline year
Artist time line: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Subject age: 25 years old
– Carlsen began to work for Danish marine painter Laurits Bernhard Holst (1848-1934) for $3/day after seeing some of Carlsen’s marine paintings.
– At Holst’s studio Emil painted ships and figures and laid in canvasses for him.
– Holst sells off one of Emil’s sketches of Elsinore, Denmark as his own to a collector and gives Emil $5 for it.
– Emil and Holst fight about it.
– Holst leaves to go back to Europe and leaves the studio and all its bills to Emil.
Work & documents:
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
May 29, 2017
Last updated: June 28, 2017 at 21:18 pm