ECA control number: 22069
Record level: Listing
Record type: Timeline year
Artist time line: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Subject age: 27 years old
– Carlsen is offered a job teaching at the newly formed Chicago Art Institute by artist Leonard Wells Volk (1828-1895).
– Emil enjoys teaching but meets fellow artist Lawrence Carmichael Earle (1845-1921) who encourages Carlsen to go to Paris to study art
– Emil leaves around February or March to Denmark and stays about one month before going to Paris, France to study
– Carlsen goes to Paris in around April or May for six months until his money ran out.
Paintings (4) :
– On the Atlantic, 1875. [This is most probably Denmark in February/March]
– The steamship Eclipse, ca.1875. [Based on reports filed by David Gray, Captain of the steamship Eclipse, it appears that he traveled in polar waters near Denmark around March.
– Red carnations and delft, 1875. [The painting is most probably from Paris when Emil Carlsen arrived in about April/May]
– Red carnations, ca.1875. [This painting is most probably from Paris when Emil Carlsen arrived in about April/May]
Exhibitions (0) :
Articles (0) :
Work & documents:
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
May 23, 2017
Last updated: June 28, 2017 at 21:28 pm