ECA control number: 21434
Record level: Listing
Record type: Timeline year
Artist time line: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Subject age: 28 years old
United States—New York—New York
United States—New York—Long Island
– Emil returned to the United States in early 1876, staying in New York City briefly before heading back to Boston.
– In New York, Emil stayed at a boarding house on 23rd street and rented a studio near one occupied by the painter John Francis Murphy [1853-1921] whom Carlsen had befriended in Chicago.
– Carlsen is also known to have traveled to Long Island New York during this time, perhaps to stay with friend William Merritt Chase.
– Carlsen was so broke at this time that he wrote to his parents for money.
– With the money his parents gave him, Emil headed back to Boston where he would live for the next eight years.
Exhibitions (0) :
Articles (0) :
Work & documents:
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
April 30, 2017
Last updated: June 28, 2017 at 21:48 pm