ECA control number: 21929
Record level: Listing
Record type: Timeline year
Artist time line: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Subject age: 31 years old
– In 1879 money was so tight, that Emil, Kenyon Cox and RA Blakelock would “…scrounge about for a few vegetables and throw them in a pot over the fire for dinner” Citation: The unknown night : the genius and madness of R. A. Blakelock, an American painter by Glyn Vincent, December 1, 2007, Grove/Atalantic, Inc.
– Emil held a sale through a local auction house of his paintings, 30 in all, and after the auction owed the auction house money.
– Emil looses his studio after the auction.
– Carlsen take a job working for various engravers including: John A. Lowell and Stephen Alonzo Schoff [1818 -1904].
– May of 1879 it is reported in the Boston Post “Art notes” that “…S. Emil Carlsen is making coast studies about Gloucester for a large picture he has on the easel…”
Paintings/drawings (3) :
– Nathaniel Hawthorne (Etching), 1879 [Drawing from when Carlsen worked for Stephen Alonzo Schoff [1818 -1904]]
– Last summers shoes (Etching), 1879 [Drawing from when Carlsen worked for Stephen Alonzo Schoff [1818 -1904]]
– Marine, ca.1879. [We believe this is the large easel painting referred to in a May 1, 1879 article from the Boston Post]
Exhibitions (0) :
– none known –
Articles (1) :
– Boston Post, Boston, MA, “Art notes”, Thursday, May 1, 1879, page 3, not illustrated.
Work & documents:
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
May 13, 2017
Last updated: June 29, 2017 at 14:53 pm