ECA control number: 23537
Record level: Listing
Record type: Timeline year
Artist time line: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Subject age: 33 years old
United States—Massachusetts—Jamaica Plain
United States—Massachusetts—North Scituate
United States—Massachusetts—Revere—Revere Beach
– Emil picked up showing at exhibitions beginning in January-February of 1881 with the Boston Art Club and in April-May.
– Being on more solid financial footing, Carlsen would visit the coasts of Massachusetts, alternating between outdoor studies/sketches and work painting within his studio.
– Various Boston Posts mention between July-September of 1881 that Carlsen was in Scituate, Revere beach, Jamaica Plain and North Scituate, MA.
– Still life (116), ca.1881.
– Still life with lemons, 1881.
– Pastoral lake with figures, 1881.
– Spring landscape, ca.1881.
– Head study, 1881.
– Heading out to sea, 1881.
– The Constitution, 1881.
– Marine with fishing boats, ca.1881.
– Tall ships passing island, 1881.
– Anchored on the shore, ca.1881.
– Seaweed gatherers, 1881.
– Cartoon for a painting, ca.1881.
– 1881 The Boston Art Club, Boston, MA, “24th exhibition of water colors and works in black and white”, April 23 – May 21.
– 1881 The Boston Art Club, Boston, MA, “Twenty-third exhibition”, January 29-February 19.
– Boston Post, Boston, MA, “The fine arts”, September 3, 1881, page 1.
– Boston Post, Boston, MA, “The fine arts”, August 13, 1881, page 4.
– Boston Post, Boston, MA, “The fine arts”, July 25, 1881, page 4.
Work & documents:
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
June 29, 2017
Last updated: June 29, 2017 at 18:31 pm