ECA control number: 23547
Record level: Listing
Record type: Timeline year
Artist time line: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Subject age: 34 years old
United States—Maine [possibly. but needs more proof]
– Emil is listed in the The United States Art Directory and Year-Book (1882) as teaching at the Art Students’ Club, Boston classes in life (draped model) and still life. The class met four-days per week in the winter.
– There are several paintings that show what possibly is Maine. It is unclear as one of the paintings are titled Maine but was sold in auctions at Maine and Boston. If it is Maine this would be the first known time Emil visited the state.
– Still life (87), ca.1882.
– Seascape, 1882. [this painting maybe the one called Twilight (106), 1882. It is unclear but would make sense.]
– Spring landscape (study for summer mist), 1882.
– Summer mist, 1882.
– Sailboats in the evening, ca.1882.
– Northeaster, Maine, ca.1882.
– Still life with fish, 1882.
– Cottage in the woods by a lake, 1882.
– Twilight (106), ca.1882. [this painting maybe the one called Seascape, 1882. It is unclear but would make sense.]
– Marine (no.172), 1882.
– Peonies, 1882.
1882 Boston Art Club, Boston, MA, “Twenty-fifth exhibition of oil painting“, February 11 – March 11.
– The United States Art Directory and Year-Book: [1st-2d year] : a guide for artists, art students, travellers, etc. by S R Koehler and Sylvester Rosa, Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., New York, NY, 1882, page 165, not illustrated.
Work & documents:
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
June 29, 2017
Last updated: June 29, 2017 at 18:26 pm