ECA control number: 23567
Record level: Listing
Record type: Timeline year
Artist time line: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Subject age: 36 years old
– In 1884, with Emil’s growing exhibition presence, came growing success with critics and art buyers. One such art dealer who took notice of the Dane’s work was Theron J. Blakeslee (1853-1914) of New York. Blakeslee, originally from Massachusetts traveled from New York city to visit Carlsen in his studio in Boston.
– Blakeslee strikes a deal with Carlsen to send him to Paris to paint floral still-lifes. Blakeslee would guarantee the purchase of one painting a month if Carlsen painted the works in Paris. Blakeslee had clients who wanted European paintings in America. Carlsen accepted the offer and left for Paris in 1884.
– Emil would work for other dealers as well to make ends meet in Paris.
– Emil paints a genre painting of a woman plucking chickens which he begins in 1884 and finishes in 1885. He submits it to the Paris Salon and is accepted.
– Based on dated works, Emil visited Moncour and Grez, France.
– Living in Paris near the Louvre, where he could admire and study Chardin, Carlsen tells many stories of still life painting—how at times they would eat the fruit, or mortgage themselves deeply to buy the flowers they needed. It was at this time he changed his palette and swung into lighter colors.
– Still life with roses and mandolin, 1884.
– Portrait of a young woman, ca.1884
– Still life (no. 5), 1884.
– Still life with skate, 1884.
– The root cellar, 1884.
– Still life with fish and radishes, 1884.
– Still life with oriental vase, 1884.
– Black vase and roses, ca.1884.
– Fish & shrimp still life, 1884.
– Still life with lemon and pineapple, 1884.
– The fisherman’s table, 1884.
– Shepherdess, 1884.
– Moncour, 1884.
– Moncour, 1884.
– A girl preparing poultry, 1884/1885.
1883 American Art Galleries, Madison Square, New York, NY, “The private collection of paintings by exclusively American artists owned by Thomas B. Clarke of New York“, December 28, 1883 – January 12, 1884.
1884 Boston Art Club, Boston, MA, “Twenty-ninth exhibition of oil paintings“, January 19 – February 16.
1884 Paint & Clay Club, Boston, MA (held at the Gallery of the Boston Art Club), “Third annual exhibition of the Paint and Clay Club“, March.
1884 Society of American Artists, New York, NY (held at the National Academy of Design, New York, NY), “7th annual exhibition of the Society of American Artists“, May 26 – June 21.
1884 New England Institute, Brookline, MA, “Exhibition“, October.
Work & documents:
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
June 29, 2017
Last updated: June 29, 2017 at 19:41 pm