Emil Carlsen : Afternoon sunlight, ca.1911.
ECA Record Control Number: 3005
Archives of American Art #: 84920063, JUL J0047770 [digital photo archive]
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Afternoon sunlight
Alternate Work Titles:
2014: Afternoon sunlight [ECA went back to original name]
1980: Woodland scene [from magazine ad]
1921: Afternoon sunlight [from exhibition catalog]
1912: Afternoon sunlight [from exhibition catalog]
Work Date: ca.1911 [dated based on first known exhibition date]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas mounted on board
Work Dimensions: 29 x 23 inches
Location: At lower left.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen.’.
Description of Work:
2006 Private collection of Clyde Aspevig [1951- ] and Carol Guzman [1951- ], P.O. Box 1886, Bozeman, MT 59771| 6690 Sourdough Canyon Road, Bozeman, MT 59771 ;
2006 ( Sotheby’s [1744- ], 1334 York Avenue, New York 10021 ) ;
after 1912 Private collection of [unknown], New England ;
1912 ( Vose Galleries [1841- ], 238 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116 ) ;
1912 ( Macbeth Gallery, The [1892-1953], [1935-1953] 11 East Fifty-seventh Street | [1924-1934] 15 East Fifty-seventh Street | [1906-1923] 450 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY | [1892-1905] 237 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY ) ;
ca.1911 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1921 Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, “Recent Paintings by Emil Carlsen, N.A.“, February 9-28.
1912 Vose Gallery, Boston, MA, “The Latest Work of Emil Carlsen, N.A.”, April 8-20.
1912 Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, “Exhibition of Paintings by Emil Carlsen, N.A.“, March 4-16.
– Art & Antiques, March/April 1980. Illustration: Art & Antiques, March/April 1980, P. 94
– The Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, Exhibition Catalog, “Recent Paintings by Emil Carlsen, N.A.“, February 9-28, 1921, #7, not illustrated.
– “Emil Carlsen Letter Confirming Payment Received from Vose Gallery” provided by Vose Gallery, April 30, 1912.
– Vose Gallery, Boston, MA, Exhibition Catalog, “The Latest Work of Emil Carlsen, N.A.”, April 8-20, 1912, #11, not illustrated.
– The Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, Exhibition Catalog, “Exhibition of Paintings by Emil Carlsen, N.A.“, March 4-16, 1912, #6, not illustrated.
– Peter A. Juley & Son Collection, Archives and Special Collections, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC, Image #JUL J0047770.
1912 – $400 USD. ($9,593.25 in 2014)
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
January 4, 2017
April 27, 2017