Emil Carlsen : Autumn forest, ca.1919.
ECA record control number: 3027
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record level: Item
Record type: Movable work
Work title: Autumn forest
Alternate work titles:
1999: Autumn forest [from auction catalog]
Work date: ca.1919 [date based on similar palette and technique of known dated work.]
Work creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work medium: Oil on canvas
Work dimensions: 24 x 19-3/4 inches | 24 x 20 inches
Inscribed/signed front: unknown.
Description of work:
2017 Returned to private collection of [unknown] ;
2017 ( Doyle Auctions [1962- ], 175 E 87th St, New York, NY 10128 ) ;
1999 Private collection of [unknown] ;
1999 ( Sotheby’s [1744- ], 1334 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021 ) ;
1985 Private collection of Frederick Robinson Koch [1931- ], New York, NY ;
1985 ( Sotheby’s [1744- ], 1334 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021 ) ;
ca.1975 Private collection of Gunnar A Anderson [1915-2008] and Lucille K (Kindlund) Anderson [1921-2011], Chicago, IL ;
1975 ( Wortsman/Rowe Fine Arts, Inc. [1972-1975], 516 Sutter Street, San Francisco, California 94102 ) ;
1975 Estate of Florence B. G. S. Carlsen [1903-1974], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s daughter-in-law ;
1966 Private collection of Florence B. G. S. Carlsen [1903-1974], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s daughter-in-law ;
before 1966 Estate of Dines Carlsen [1901-1966], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s son ;
1932 Private collection of Luella May (Ruby) Carlsen [c.1869-before 1966], New York, NY, the artist’s wife ;
ca.1919 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
2017 Doyle Auctions [1962- ], New York, NY, “Sale #17PT03 – Impressionist & modern art”, November 15.
1999 Sotheby’s, New York, NY, “Sale”, March 11.
1985 Sotheby’s, New York, NY, “Sale”, December 17.
1975 Wortsman Rowe Galleries, San Francisco, CA, “The art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932“, January 10-February 21; Rubicon Gallery, Los Altos, CA, January 17-February 28; The El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso, TX, March 2-March 30; Robert Rice Gallery, Houston, TX, April 10-May; Coe Kerr Gallery, New York, NY, June-July; The Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego, San Diego, CA, August 20-October 10; The Norton Gallery of Art, West Palm Beach, FL, November-December.
– Doyle Auctions [1962- ], New York, NY, online exhibition catalog, “Sale #17PT03 – Impressionist & modern art”, November 15, 2017, lot #63, illustrated: color.
– Sotheby’s, New York, NY, sale catalog, “Sale”, March 11, 1999, lot #56.
– Sotheby’s, New York, NY, sale catalog, “Sale”, December 17, 1985, lot #131.
– Rubicon-Wortsman Pub., San Francisco, CA, exhibition catalog, ”Art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932”, 1975, #15, illustrated: b&w.
– “Archive of works by Emil Carlsen compiled by Dines Carlsen”, 24 pages, hand-drawn sketches and notes by Dines, provided by Linda Hay, ca.1960, illustrated: b&w, page 18, #U70.
– Early October, 1919/1923.
– Location is Ogunquit, Maine painted in the artist’s studio on Jerome Ave [the Bronx], New York, NY according to notes by Dines Carlsen in his notebook on his father’s works.
– CONDITION REPORT : Trimmed to the tacking edge and wax lined; stretchers not period. Very little inpaint under UV exam; there is a 1/2 inch square area of inpaint at the extreme lower right corner, and there is a small area approximately 1/2 x 1-1/2 inches that appears to be inpaint at the upper ledge, near the upper left corner. Pigments fluoresce.
2017 – [unsold] [auction]
1999 – $9,200 USD [auction]
1985 – [unknown] [auction]
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
June 18, 2015
Last updated: September 25, 2018 at 22:12 pm