Emil Carlsen : Blackfish and clams, 1902.
ECA Record Control Number: 1895
Archives of American Art #: 36120309
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Blackfish and clams
Alternate Work Titles:
1999: Blackfish and clams [from exhibition catalog]
1921: Still-life [from book caption]
1906: Still life [from museum notes]
1904: Still-life (backfish and clams) [from exhibition catalog]
1903: Blackfish and clams [from exhibition catalog]
Work Date: 1902 [date from museum website.]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas
Work Dimensions: 34-1/4 x 38-1/8 inches
Location: At lower right.
Text: ‘Emil Carlsen’.
Description of Work:
1905 ( Metropolitan Museum of Art [1870- ], 1000 5th Ave, New York, NY 10028 ) ;
ca.1903 Private collection of William A Read [1858-1916], New York, NY ;
1902 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1999 Vance Jordan Fine Art, New York, NY, “Quiet magic : The still-life paintings of Emil Carlsen“, October 28 – December 10.
1905 Salmagundi Club, New York, NY, “26th yearly exhibition, group exhibition – paintings by Gifford Beal, Emil Carlsen, Paul Dougherty, Robert D. Gauley, Albert L. Groll, Charles W. Hawthorne, and Frederick Ballard Williams“, December 1904 – January 15, 1905.
1904 St. Louis Fairgrounds, St. Louis, MO, “Louisiana purchase international exposition (St. Louis world’s fair)”, April 30 – December 1.
1903 National Academy of Design, New York, NY, “78th annual exhibition“, January 3-31.
– Soren Emil Carlsen: The Hammershoi of Manhattan by Kim Lykke Jensen, Narayana Press, Gylling, Denmark, 2008, illustrated: color, page 47, figure 29.
– Vance Jordan Fine Art, New York, NY, exhibition catalog, “Quiet magic : The still-life paintings of Emil Carlsen“, October 28 – December 10, 1999, #20.
– Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY, “American paintings in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, volume III : A catalogue of works by artists born between 1846 and 1864” by Doreen Bolger Burke, 1975 & 1980, page 164, illustrated on page 165.
– Reading Times, Reading, PA, “Emil Carlsen, artist, is dead“, Monday, January 4, 1932, page 2, not illustrated.
– Pots and pans or studies in still-life painting by Arthur Edwin Bye, Princeton, NJ, 1921, pages 213-222, illustrated: b&w, insert between page 215-214.
– Famous pictures; famous pictures described with anecdotes of the painters by Charles L. Barstow, Century Company, New York, NY, 1912, illustrated: b&w on page 205.
– Academy Notes, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Albright Art Gallery, Buffalo, NY, “Art museum notes“, February, 1906, volume 1, number 9, page 161-162, not illustrated.
– New York Times, New York, NY, “The world of art and artists : what the artists are doing”, January 28, 1906.
– “Annual report of the trustees of the Metropolitan Museum of Art”, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY, number 36, pages 21-27, 1905.
– American Art News, New York, NY, “[Salmagundi Club seven member show]“, January 7, 1905, volume 3, #61, not illustrated.
– New York Times, New York, NY, “Young American painters : Show of ideal figures, land and seascapes at the Arts Club”, February 6, 1904.
– National Academy of Design, New York, NY, exhibition catalog, “78th annual exhibition“, January 3-31, 1903, #324, not illustrated.
American Art News, New York, NY, “[Salmagundi Club seven member show]“, January 7, 1905, volume 3, #61, not illustrated.
“…Emil Carlsen’s three landscapes are virile and his still life has admirable technique…”
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
July 31, 2014
March 19, 2017