Emil Carlsen : Canal In Venice, ca.1909.
ECA Record Control Number: 11343
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Canal in Venice
Alternate Work Titles:
1975: Canal in Venice [from exhibition catalog]
Work Date: ca.1909 [date based on known time Carlsen was in Venice]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas
Work Dimensions: 5-1/2 x 4-1/2 inches (unframed) | 9-3/8 x 8-1/2 inches (framed)
Location: At bottom middle in pencil.
Text: ‘Emil Carlsen’.
ECA Category: Waterscape
ECA Sub-Category: Venice
Archives of American Art Subjects:
Description of Work:
ca.1995 Private collection of [unknown] ;
ca.1995 ( Patricia Weiner Gallery, 9393 Montgomery Road, Cincinnati, OH (now called the Eisele Gallery of Fine Art) ) ;
1995 ( Thirteenth Colony Arts, LLC [2005- ] | [1992-2005] C. Duncan Connelly Fine Art | P.O. Box 15522, Atlanta, Ga 30333 | 2300 Peachtree Rd. Suite B-108, Atlanta, GA 30309 ) ;
1985 Private collection of [unknown], Winchester, VA ;
1975 ( Wortsman/Rowe Fine Arts, Inc. [1972-1975], 516 Sutter Street, San Francisco, California 94102 ) ;
1975 Estate of Florence B. G. S. Carlsen [1903-1974], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s daughter-in-law ;
1966 Private collection of Florence B. G. S. Carlsen [1903-1974], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s daughter-in-law ;
before 1966 Estate of Dines Carlsen [1901-1966], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s son ;
1932 Private collection of Luella May (Ruby) Carlsen [c.1869-before 1966], New York, NY, the artist’s wife ;
ca.1918 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1975 Wortsman Rowe Galleries, San Francisco, CA, “The Art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932”, January 10-February 21; Rubicon Gallery, Los Altos, CA, January 17-February 28; The El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso, TX, March 2-March 30; Robert Rice Gallery, Houston, TX, April 10-May; Coe Kerr Gallery, New York, NY, June-July; The Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego, San Diego, CA, August 20-October 10; The Norton Gallery of Art, West Palm Beach, FL, November-December.
– C. Duncan Connelly. “Carlsens that have passed through our hands.” Email with attachment of pictures and list of works to Bill Indursky, Emil Carlsen Archives. April 18, 2017 at 9:13 PM.
– “Photograph of Emil Carlsen’s Canal in Venice” provided by the Patricia Weiner Gallery, Cincinnati, OH, c.1997.
– “Gallery Index Card for Emil Carlsen’s Canal in Venice” provided by the Patricia Weiner Gallery, Cincinnati, OH, c.1997.
– Rubicon-Wortsman Pub., San Francisco, CA, Exhibition Catalog, ”Art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932”, 1975, #106 (as Gondola), not illustrated.
– Photograph and information provided directly from the Patricia Weiner Gallery (Eisele Gallery of Fine Art) via mail from Marie Rigney.
1995 – $2,000 USD (retail)
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
July 7, 2016
April 19, 2017