Emil Carlsen : Flower still-life, 1895.
ECA record control number: 2420
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record level: Item
Record type: Movable work
Work title: Flower still-life
Alternate work titles:
2018: Flower still-life [from online auction catalog]
2006: Peony’s [sic] [from auction catalog]
Work date: 1895 [from canvas front]
Work creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work medium: Oil on canvas
Work dimensions: 25-1/4 x 20 inches
Inscribed / signed front:
Location: At lower middle-right.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen. 1895.’
Marking type: Red printed horizontal rectangular framer gallery label.
Location: Lower middle stretcher verso.
Text: ‘MILLER / FRAME GALLERIES / SINCE 1888 / PICTURES – FRAMES – MIRRORS / PICTURE FRAMING / [knockout style-box with text title] No. / 401 MADISON AVE (NEAR 48th ST.) NEW YORK / [early Deco-style border of two lines with and ‘L-bracket’ in each corner.]’.
Description of work:
Provenance / ownership:
ca.2013 ( The Emperor’s Treasury, 2611 Buford Road, Bon Air, VA 23235 [Owner John Hooser and Marie Clark] ) ;
ca. 2006 Private collection of [unknown], upstate, NY ;
2006 ( The Cobbs Auctioneers, 50 Jaffrey Road, Peterborough, NH 03458 ) ;
ca.1920s-30s Private collection of [unknown], NY [based on framer information on verso] ;
after 1895 Private collection of [unknown], NY? ;
1895 Emil Carlsen [1894-1932], the artist .
2006 The Cobbs Auctioneers, Peterborough, NH, “Sale”, April 22.
References / citations:
– “Flower still-life signed Emil Carlsen, 1895 (US) oil painting depiction of peonies“. Ebay.com online auction. March 3, 2015 – February 14, 2018 [on-going listing]. Updated April 29, 2015. Accessed February 14, 2018. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flower-Still-life-Signed-Emil-Carlsen-1895-US-Oil-Painting-Depiction-of-Peonies/261645164947?hash=item3ceb446193:g:8jYAAOSwY45UUqqA.
– The Cobbs Auctioneers, Peterborough, NH, sale catalog, “Sale”, April 22, 2006, lot #157.
– Peonies, 1886. [similar use and style of flower.]
– Based on visually similar use of flowers and style of a painting dated 1896, this painting, dated 1895 may have been created at the end of 1895 over a Christmas / New Year holiday. It would have been painted most likely in New York.
– ECA was contacted directly by current owner of the work via email on February 14, 2018 at 3:53pm with firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Painting was relined.
2018 – $35,000 USD [auction/retail]
2006 – [unknown] [unsold]
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
February 13, 2014
Last updated: February 15, 2018 at 0:47 am