Emil Carlsen : Full tide, coast of Maine, ca.1911.
ECA record control number: 3693
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record level: Item
Record type: Movable work
Work title: Full tide, coast of Maine
Alternate work titles:
2020 : Full tide, coast of Maine [from online sales catalog]
2013 : Full tide, coast of Maine [from auction catalog]
1912 : Full tide [from exhibition catalog]
1912 : Full tide : study [from exhibition catalog – this may be referring to another slightly smaller related work]
Work date: ca.1911 [date from dated study and from first known exhibition]
Work creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work medium: Oil on canvas
Work dimensions: 30 x 35 inches
Inscribed / signed front:
Location: At lower left.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen.’.
Marking type: Signed and titled.
Text: ‘Full Tide | The Coast of Maine. Emil Carlsen.’.
Description of work:
Horizontal composition of a ruff sea crashing against a rocky letty and other rocks. In the foreground left is a large shallow domed-top rock with waves crashing against it. In the mid-ground center is a wave with spray and foam. In the background left is a rock jetty with a pointed rock at the end with water crashing against it. The painting shows before or after the main sea spray. Brightness can be seen at the top left sky of the composition. The rest of the sky appears to be overcast.
Provenance / ownership:
2020 ( Avery Galleries [2001- ], 100 Chetwynd Drive, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010 | 50 E. 72nd Street, Apt. 2A, New York, NY 10021 ) ;
2013 ( Shannon’s [1997- ], 354 Woodmont Rd, Milford, CT 06460 ) ;
ca.1955 Private collection of [unknown], New York, NY (purchased directly from the artist [although we think they mean the artist’s estate] )
1912 ( Vose Galleries [1841- ], 238 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116 ) ;
ca.1911 Emil Carlsen, the artist .
2013 Shannon’s [1997- ], Milford, CT, “American & European fine art”, October 24.
1912 Vose Galleries [1841- ], Boston, MA, “The latest work of Emil Carlsen, N.A.”, April 8-20.
1912 Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA, “One hundred and seventh annual exhibition of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts“, February 4 – March 24. [this may be referring to another painting of slightly less dimensions : Seascape, 1911.]
References / citations:
– Shannon’s [1997- ], Milford, CT, sale catalog, “American & European fine art”, October 24, 2013, lot #19.
– Unknown newspaper clipping, “(Full Tide Sold) provided by the Patricia Weiner Gallery, Cincinnati, OH“, ca.1955?, illustrated: b&w.
– “Emil Carlsen letter confirming payment received from Vose Gallery” provided by Vose Gallery, April 30, 1912.
– Vose Galleries [1841- ], Boston, MA, exhibition catalog, “The latest work of Emil Carlsen, N.A.”, April 8-20, 1912, #1, not illustrated.
– Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA, exhibition catalog, “One hundred and seventh annual exhibition of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts“, February 4 – March 24, 1912, #611, not illustrated. [this may be referring to another painting of slightly less dimensions : Seascape, 1911.]
– Study for this painting : Seascape, 1911.
– Painted in Ogunquit, ME, in the same area that Carlsen’s award winning Surf, 1907 depicts.
2020 – [unknown] [retail]
2013 – $36,000 USD [auction]
ca.1955 – $18,700 USD [retail]
1912 – [unknown] [retail]
1912 – [unknown] [retail]
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
February 11, 2013
Last updated: July 25, 2020 at 14:42 pm