Emil Carlsen : Girl in vegetable shop, 1897.
ECA Record Control Number: 4567
Archives of American Art #: 80041446 [Art Inventories], 84780028 [Art Inventories]
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Girl in Vegetable Shop
Alternate Work Titles:
1979: Girl in Vegetable Shop [from museum exhibition catalog]
1976: Lady with Basket of Fruit [from auction catalog?]
1898: Parisian Market Woman [from auction catalog]
Work Date: 1897
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas
Work Dimensions: 50 x 43 inches | 48-3/4 x 42 inches
Location: At lower right.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen. 1897.’.
Archives of American Art #:
Architecture interior — Commercial
Architecture interior — Commercial — Store
Figure female — Full length
Object — Vegetable
Object — Vegetable — Carrot
Object — Vegetable — Onion
Object — Vegetable — Beet
Occupation — Vendor
Description of Work:
Vertical composition of a woman shown full-length, wearing a white apron, sitting among baskets of onions, beets and carrots with a lace ribbon in her hand. In the left foreground are beets on the floor and a large two-handled woven wicker basket of onions. In center mid-ground sits a right facing woman with off-white/light gray blouse and white full length apron with darker gray underskirt and sand color non-descript shoe. Left and right of the woman in the mid-ground are piles of beets and carrots and onions. The background is brown and non-descript. The lighting is even and coming from in front of the sitter indicating that the scene is an interior. [ECA, September 16, 2016]
2009 Sotheby’s [1744- ], 1334 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021
ca.2005 The Fralin Museum of Art [1935- ], University of Virginia, 155 Rugby Road, PO Box 400119, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4119
ca.1976 Private collection of Dr. Henry C. Landon III [1924- ] and Barbara Landon [1935- ], North Wilkesboro, NC
1976 Sotheby’s [1744- ], 1334 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021
1974 Craig and Tarlton, Inc. [1969-1985], 122 Glenwood Avenue, Raleigh, NC 27603
1974 Hirschl & Adler Galleries [1952- ], [2011- ] 730 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10019 | [1977-2011] 21 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021 | [1958-1977] 21 East 67th, New York, NY 10065 | [1952-1958] Marguery Hotel on 270 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10017
1973 Private collection of A. M. Adler [1927-2000], New York, NY
1898 American Art Association [1883-1964], [1922-1964] Madison Ave and 56th Street, New York, NY 10018 | [1883-1922] 6 East 23rd Street (South Madison Square), New York, NY 10010
1897 Private collection of Pincus Chock [1859-1919], New York, NY
1897 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist
2009 Sotheby’s, New York, NY, “Sale”, January 24.
2005 University of Virginia Art Museum, Charlottesville, VA, “A Jeffersonian Ideal: Selections from the Dr. and Mrs. Henry C. Landon III Collection of American Fine and Decorative Arts”, August-November.
1979-1981 Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, NC, Exhibition Catalog, “American Paintings: The Landon Collection“, September 1979 – July 1981, page 60, #30.
1898 American Art Galleries, New York, NY, “American Paintings Belonging To Mr. P. Chock to be sold at absolute Public Sale At the American Art Galleries“, March 9-11.
1897 National Academy of Design, New York, NY, “72nd Annual Exhibition“, November 15 – December 18.
– Sotheby’s, New York, NY, Sale Catalog, January 24, 2009, Lot #11.
– University of Virginia Art Museum, Charlottesville, VA, Exhibition Catalog, “A Jeffersonian Ideal: Selections from the Dr. and Mrs. Henry C. Landon III Collection of American Fine and Decorative Arts”, August-November, 2005, pg.58-59, illustrated: Color.
– Mint Museum of Art, Exhibition Catalog, Charlotte, NC, Exhibition Catalog, “American Paintings: The Landon Collection”, September 1979-July 1981, #30.
– The Magazine Antiques, New York, NY, “Emil Carlsen Ad for Craig and Tarlton, Inc.“, September, 1974, page 325, illustrated: color.
– American Art Galleries, New York, NY, “American Paintings Belonging To Mr. P. Chock to be sold at absolute Public Sale At the American Art Galleries“, March 9-11, 1898, #301, Not illustrated.
– National Academy of Design, New York, NY, Exhibition Catalog, “72nd Annual Exhibition“, November 15 – December 18, as Girl in a Vegetable Shop, 1897.
– Girl Reading, ca.1897 [study/sketch for this version of the painting]
– Mrs. Carlsen Plucking Fowl, 1893 [painting with similar pose & date]
– Arranging Flowers, 1886 [a similar size study with similar finish]
– A study for this painting is in the collection of the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York as Girl Reading, ca.1897.
2009 – $11,875 USD.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
September 15, 2014
September 16, 2016