Emil Carlsen : Golden autumn, 1908.
ECA Record Control Number: 5507
Archives of American Art #: 83340130, JUL J0047759 [digital photo archive]
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Golden autumn
Alternate Work Titles:
1966: Golden autumn [from museum information]
1922: Autumnal [from magazine article]
1919: Late October [from exibition catalog]
1908: Afterglow [from exhibition catalog]
Work Date: 1908 [date from front of canvas]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas
Work Dimensions: 33-1/2 x 37-1/2 inches | 33-1/2 x 27-1/2 inches
Location: At lower right.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen. 1908.’.
Description of Work:
1966 ( Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art [1933- ], University of Oregon, 1430 Johnson Lane, Eugene, OR 97403, Gift of Martin Birnbaum [1878-1970] (Accession #1966.12) ) ;
ca.1921 Private collection of Martin Birnbaum [1878-1970], New York, NY ;
ca.1921 ( Bauer-Folsom Galleries [1908-1921] | Folsom Galleries [1908-1921], 396 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 11215 [purchased all paintings from this collector—14 works in all. See: New York Tribune, New York, NY, “Random Impressions In Current Exhibitions”, Sunday, January 16, 1921, First Edition, Page 40, not illustrated) ;
ca.1908 Private collection of Robert J Handley, Esquire [1881-1965], New York, NY ;
1908 ( Bauer-Folsom Galleries [1908-1921] | Folsom Galleries [1908-1921], 396 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 11215 ) ;
1908 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1919 The Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, “Loan Exhibition of Paintings by Emil Carlsen, N.A. from the collection of Robert Handley, Esq of New York“, December.
1908 Saint Botolph Club, Boston, MA, “Paintings by Emil Carlsen“, January 6-24.
– Art Journal (Caa), spring 1967.
– The International Studio, “Emil Carlsen – Painter, Teacher” by F. Newlin Price, July, 1922, Volume 75, Number 302, pg. 300-308, illustrated: B&W, pg. 308.
– The Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, “Loan Exhibition of Paintings by Emil Carlsen, N.A. from the collection of Robert Handley, Esq of New York“, December, 1919 #3, illustrated: B&W.
– Saint Botolph Club, Boston, MA, Exhibition Catalog, “Paintings by Emil Carlsen“, January 6-24, 1908, #13, not illustrated.
– Peter A. Juley & Son Collection, Archives and Special Collections, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC, Image #JUL J0047759.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
October 24, 2014
March 2, 2017