Emil Carlsen : Harvester bottles, 1927.
ECA record control number: 6943
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record level: Item
Record type: Movable work
Work title: Harvester bottles
Alternate work titles:
1929 : Harvester bottles
1927 : Harvest bottles
Work date: 1927 [from front of canvas]
Work creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work medium: Oil on canvas mounted on wood panel
Work dimensions: 20 x 16 inches | 20-1/8 x 16 inches
Inscribed / signed front:
Location: [At lower left, At lower right, etc.]
Text: ‘ ‘.
Description of work:
Provenance / ownership:
ca.1961 ( Krannert Art Museum [1961- ], 500 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL 61820, ) ;
1929 ( University Fine Arts Gallery, Champaign, IL, accession #29-1-1 ) ;
1929 ( The Macbeth Gallery [1892-1953], 450 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY ) ;
1927 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1932 Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn, NY, “Paintings and Sculpture by the Society of Scandinavian American Artists with a Memorial Group of Paintings by Emil Carlsen with works by Dines Carlsen“, April 11 – May 15.
1931 Warren E. Cox Galleries, 744 Madison Avenue, New York, NY, “Exhibition of paintings by Emil Carlsen and Dines Carlsen”, February.
1929 The Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, “Paintings by Emil Carlsen and Dines Carlsen”, February 5-18
1927 The National Academy of Design, New York, NY, “102nd annual exhibition (winter)“, November 29 – December 18, 1927.
References / citations:
– Museum inventory, Krannert Art Museum [1961- ], 500 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL 61820, 1987.
– “Archive of works by Emil Carlsen compiled by Dines Carlsen“, 24 pages, hand-drawn sketches and notes probably by Dines, provided by Linda Hay, c1960s.
– Warren E. Cox Galleries, New York, NY, exhibition catalog, “Exhibition of paintings by Emil Carlsen and Dines Carlsen”, February, 1931, #2, not illustrated.
– The Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, exhibition catalog, “Paintings by Emil Carlsen and Dines Carlsen”, February 5-18, 1929, #2.
– The National Academy of Design, New York, NY, exhibition catalog, “102nd annual exhibition (winter)“, November 29–December 18, 1927, #55, not illustrated.
– Painted in Falls Village, CT in 1927.
– We are unable to locate a catalog for the 1932 Memorial exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum. It may be because Carlsen had just past and it was all done rather quickly. For proof of the exhibition and the works shown we are using the museum’s own image of the exhibition and the Archive of Works by Emil Carlsen Compiled by Dines Carlsen which makes notes in the margins of which works were included. Also it appears that the works shown very closely match the show Carlsen had at the Macbeth Gallery a month before. We believe these are most probably the ones shown, minus the ones that sold with O Ye of Little Faith which was shown at the National Academy just before as well.
1929 [unknown] [retail]
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
August 25, 2016
Last updated: November 28, 2018 at 3:11 am