Emil Carlsen : On the Kattegat, 1877.
ECA Record Control Number: 3504
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: On the Kattegat [from online auction & plaque on front of painting]
Alternate Work Titles:
2020 : On the Kattegat [from online auction catalog]
1997 : On the Kattegat [from auction catalog]
1877 : In the Kattegat [from exhibition catalog]
Work Date: 1877 [date from plaque on front of painting frame]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas lined with wax canvas
Work Dimensions: 26 x 42 inches [unframed] | 30-3/4 x 47 x 2-3/4 [framed]
Location: Signed at lower left.
Dated: Yes, on plaque on front of frame
Text: ‘S. Emile. Carlsen.’.
Marking type : Aged rectangular label.
Location : Bottom right stretcher (upside down).
Text : ‘On the Kattegat / by Emil Carlsen / 1877’.
Archives of American Art Subjects:
Architecture — Boat
Architecture — Boat — Rowboat
Architecture — Boat — Sailboat
Waterscape — Boat
Waterscape — Sea
Waterscape — Weather
Waterscape — Weather — Storm
Description of Work:
2020 ( John Moran Auctioneers [1969- ], 145 East Walnut Avenue, Monrovia, CA 91016 ) ;
1997 Private collection of [unknown] ;
1997 ( Bonhams [1793- ], 580 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10022 | 220 San Bruno Ave, San Francisco, CA 94103 ) ;
after 1877 Private collection of [unknown] ;
1877 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
2020 John Moran Auctioneers [1969- ], Monrovia, CA, “California & American fine art”, November 17.
1997 Bonhams [1793- ], San Francisco, CA, “Sale“, June 11.
1877 Boston Art Club, Boston, MA, “First exhibition for 1877“, January 17 – February 10.
– John Moran Auctioneers [1969- ], Monrovia, CA, online auction catalog, “California & American fine art”, November 17, 2020, lot #55, illustration : color.
– Bonhams [1793- ], San Francisco, CA, sale catalog, “Sale“, June 11, 1997, lot #2553.
– Boston Art Club, Boston, MA, exhibition catalog, “First exhibition for 1877”, January 17 – February 10, 1877, #103, not illustrated.
– The Boston Art Club: Exhibition Record 1873-1909 edited by Janice H. Chadbourne, Karl Gabosh, and Charles O. Vogel, 1991, pages 105-106, not illustrated.
– It is unclear if this is the same work being referred to in the Boston Art Club catalog, but based on date and name it is reasonable to believe it is.
– Condition: Visual: Generally good condition. Minor frame abrasion scattered along the four edges. Stable craquelure throughout. Minor surface dirt and grime in 2020. Blacklight : Spots and areas of touch-up scattered throughout the sky, the largest a 4″ x 8″ scattered area upper center.
2020 – [tba] [auction] ;
1997 – $4,312 USD. [auction] ;
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
August 10, 2014
April 29, 2017