Emil Carlsen : Peonies, 1883.
ECA record control number: 2313
Archives of American Art #: 82190700
Record level: Item
Record type: Movable work
Work title: Peonies
Alternate work titles:
2015 : Peonies [ECA reverted back to what is assumed the original title of the work]
2006 : Still life with flowers (lot #4) [from online auction catalog]
1884 : Peonies (#103) [from exhibition catalog – not pictured]
1883 : Peonies (#57) [from exhibition catalog – not pictured]
Work date: 1883 [from front of canvas]
Work creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work medium: Oil on canvas
Work dimensions: 39 x 53-1/4 inches | 38 x 52 inches [possible this is the second variation?]
Inscribed / signed front:
Location: At lower left.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen. I-5 1883-‘.
Description of work:
Provenance / ownership:
2006 Private collection of [unknown] ;
2006 ( Christie’s [1766- ], Rockefeller Center, 20 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10020 ) ;
ca.1977 ( Post Road Gallery [1952- ], 2128 Boston Post Road, Larchmont, NY 10538 ) ;
after 1883 Private collection of [unknown] ;
1883 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
2006 Christie’s New York, Rockefeller Center, NY, November 30.
1884 The Boston Art Club, Boston, MA, “Twenty-Ninth Exhibition of Oil Paintings“, January 19 – February 16.
1883 The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA, “Fifty-Fourth Annual Exhibition of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts“, October 29-December 8.
References / citations:
– Christie’s New York, Rockefeller Center, NY, Sale Cat., November 30, 2006, Lot #4.
– American Art Review, August, 1977. Illustration: American Art Review, 8/77.
– The Boston Art Club, Boston, MA, Exhibition Catalog, “Twenty-Ninth Exhibition of Oil Paintings“, January 19 – February 16, 1884, shown as “Peonies”, #102, not illustrated.
– The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA, Exhibition Catalog, “Fifty-Fourth Annual Exhibition of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts“, October 29-December 8, 1883, #57.
– It is unclear if this is the painting referred to as “Peonies (102)” in the Boston Art Club, but based on style, date, and name of work it is a high probability. Will look for other cross references.
2006 – $132,000 USD
1883 – $350 USD (approx. $8,755.36 in 2014)
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
February 9, 2015
Last updated: December 1, 2020 at 18:19 pm