Emil Carlsen : Portrait of Dines Carlsen, 1914.
Portrait of Dines Carlsen (also called Portrait of Dines No. 3), 1914
Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Oil on canvas
24-1/2 x 23-1/2 inches
Signed: At lower right & dated. ‘Emil Carlsen. 1914.’.
Archives of American Art #: JUL J0047826
1979 Private Collection of Frederick R. Koch, New York, NY [Purchased February 14]
c.1976 Hammer Galleries, New York, NY
1966 Estate of Florence B.G.S. Carlsen, Falls Village, CT
c.1944 Dines Carlsen, the artist’s son
1932 Luella May Carlsen, the artist’s wife
1914 Emil Carlsen, the artist
1915 Albright Gallery, The Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Buffalo, NY, “Tenth Annual Exhibition of Selected Paintings by American Artists“, May 22 – August 30.
– “Archive of Works by Emil Carlsen Compiled by Dines Carlsen”, 24 pages, hand-drawn sketches and notes probably by Dines, provided by Linda Hay, c1960, illustrated: B&W, page 5.
– Art and Progress, Volume 6, Number 11, September 1915, pg. 413.
– Academy Notes, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Albright Art Gallery, Buffalo, NY, “The Tenth Annual Exhibition of Selected Paintings by American Arts at the Albright Art Gallery“, July, 1915, Volume 10, Number 3, page index, 21, illustrated: b&w on page 21.
– Albright Gallery, The Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Buffalo, NY, Exhibition Catalog, “Tenth Annual Exhibition of Selected Paintings by American Artists“, May 22 – August 30, #34.
– Peter A. Juley & Son Collection, Archives and Special Collections, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC, Image #JUL J0047826.
– Painted in Windham, CT in 1913?