Emil Carlsen Santa Maria Della Salute, 1909
ECA Record Control Number: 3594
Archives of American Art #: 39660088
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Santa Maria Della Salute
Alternate Work Titles:
2017: Santa Maria Della Salute [ECA has gone back to the original name to help differentiate the work from others with same title]
2016: Venice [from museum website]
1909: Santa Maria Della Salute [from exhibition catalog]
Work Date: 1909 [date based on known trip dates of Emil Carlsen to Venice and date of paintings first exhibition.]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas board mounted on laminated support (paperboard on wood on paperboard)
Work Dimensions: 8-1/2 x 10 inches
Inscribed/Signed Front: unknown
Description of Work:
1971 ( North Carolina Museum of Art [1956- ], 2110 Blue Ridge Rd, Raleigh, NC 27607 (Accession #G.71.40.1) ) ;
1955 Private collection of Fabius B Pendleton [1905-1971], Warrenton, NC ;
ca.1929 Private collection of Katherine Pendleton Arrington [1876-1955], Warrenton, NC ;
ca.1919 ( Ferargil Gallery [1915-1955], [?-?] 63 East 57th Street, New York, NY 10003 | [1927-?] 37 East 57th Street, New York, NY 10022 | [?-1927] 607 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10017 | [1915- ] 24 East 49th Street, New York, NY 10017 ) ;
1909 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist ;
1909 ( Bauer-Folsom Galleries [1908-1921] | Folsom Galleries [1908-1921], 396 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 11215 ) ;
1909 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1992 Lexington, NC, Davidson County Art Guild, “American Portraits and Landscapes from the North Carolina Museum of Art,” April 2-30, 1992 (outreach).
1991 Asheville, NC, Asheville Art Museum, “Nineteenth and Twentieth Century American Paintings from the North Carolina Museum of Art,” March 5-April 28.
1989 Fayetteville, NC, Fayetteville Museum of Art, “Bicentennial/Bicentennial: American Paintings and Audubon Prints from the North Carolina Museum of Art,” October 29-December 3.
1988 North Wilkesboro, NC, Wilkes Art Gallery, “North American Landscapes from the North Carolina Museum of Art,” March 18-April 5.
1985 San Francisco, CA, The California Palace of the Legion of Honor, “Venice: The American View,” October 20, 1984-January 20, 1985; Cleveland, OH, The Cleveland Museum of Art, February 27-April 21, #9, illustrated.
1980-81 Wilmington, NC, St. John’s Museum of Art, December 5, 1980-January 25, 1981.
1976 Asheville, NC, Asheville Art Museum, “American Paintings from the Permanent Collection of the North Carolina Museum of Art,” May 16-June 27, #6.
1929 Warrenton, NC, Warren County Public Library, “Art Exhibition under the Auspices of The Woman’s Club of Warrenton, N.C.,” February 18-March 1, collection of Mrs. Katherine Pendleton Arrington.
1909 Poland Spring Art Gallery, Maine State Building, South Poland, ME, “Fifteenth Annual Exhibition of Paintings by Prominent Artists“, 1909, #12.
1909 Bauer-Folsom Galleries, New York, NY, “Paintings by Emil Carlsen“, April 3 – April 10.
– Margaretta M. Lovell, Venice: The American View, 1860-1920 (exhibition catalogue) (San Francisco: The Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, 1984), cat. no. 9, illus.
– North Carolina Museum of Art, 1978, 1989.
– American Paintings from the Permanent Collection of the North Carolina Museum of Art (exhibition catalogue) (Asheville: Asheville Art Museum, 1976), #6.
– “Acquisitions,” North Carolina Museum of Art Bulletin 12, nos. 1 and 2 (December 1973), listed 40.
– Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Fabius B. Pendleton in memory of Katherine Clark Pendleton Arrington.
– New York Times, New York, NY, “News of the Art World“, Sunday, August 29, 1909, page 57, not illustrated.
– Poland Spring Art Gallery, Maine State Building, South Poland, ME, Exhibition Catalog, “Fifteenth Annual Exhibition of Paintings by Prominent Artists“, 1909, #12.
– On the Lagoon, Venice, 1909 [painted during the same trip to Venice and most probably even the same day as this one.]
– We suspect that Carlsen painted this over a Christmas vacation with his family in preparation for his Bauer-Folsom Galleries show held in April of 1909. He may have painted these in 1908 or 1909. The light shown in the paintings would match December/January.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
August 8, 2016
February 2, 2017