Emil Carlsen : Seascape with ship, 1881.
ECA record control number: 3468
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record level: Item
Record type: Movable work
Work title: Seascape with ship
Alternate work titles:
2010 : Seascape with ship [from auction catalog]
2006 : Tall ships passing island [from auction catalog]
1997 : Clipper ship entering Christiana harbor [from exhibition catalog]
Work date: 1881 [from front of canvas]
Work creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work medium: Oil on canvas
Work dimensions: 16 x 20 inches [unframed] | 15-1/2 x 19-1/2 inches [unframed] | 27 x 30 inches [framed]
Inscribed / signed front:
Location: At lower right.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen. 81.’.
Description of work:
Provenance / ownership:
2010 Private collection of [unknown] ;
2010 ( Rachel Davis Fine Arts [1987- ], 1301 West 79th Street, Cleveland, OH 44102 ) ;
2006 ( Cleveland Auction Company, 3910 Lorain Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44113 ) ;
2006 ( Mastro Auctions [1996-2009] / Legendary Auctions, 7900 South Madison Street, Burr Ridge, IL 60527 ) ;
after ca.1881 Private collection of [unknown] ;
ca.1881 Private collection of [unknown] ;
1881 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
2010 Rachel Davis Fine Arts, Cleveland, OH, “Fine Art at auction”, October 23.
2006 Cleveland Auction Company, Cleveland, OH, “Autumn fine & decorative arts auction”, October 1.
2006 Mastro Auctions, Burr Ridge, IL, “Sale”, April 18.
1977 Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, Loretto, PA, “Pere et fils: Art of Emil and Dines Carlsen“, August 20 – October 23. [needs cross proof]
References / citations:
– Rachel Davis Fine Arts, Cleveland, OH, sale catalog, “Fine Art at auction”, October 23, 2010, lot #68, illustrated : color.
– Cleveland Auction Company, Cleveland, OH, sale catalog, “Autumn fine & decorative arts auction”, October 1, 2006, lot #77, illustrated : color.
– Mastro Auctions, Burr Ridge, IL, sale catalog, “Sale’, April 18, 2006, lot#3.
– Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, Loretto, PA, exhibition catalog, “Pere et fils : art of Emil and Dines Carlsen“, August 20 – October 23, 1977, #15, not illustrated. [needs cross proof]
– Condition: relined, loss to finish on lower edge of frame.
2010 – $1,200 USD [auction]
2006 – [unsold] [$7,000-$12,000 USD estimate] [auction]
2006 – $4,710 USD [auction]
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
July 14, 2014
Last updated: March 5, 2018 at 0:39 am