Emil Carlsen : Still life, ca.1913.
ECA Record Control Number: 13730034
Archives of American Art #:
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Still life
Alternate Work Titles:
Work Date: ca.1913 [date based on theme and palette]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas stretch against panel
Work Dimensions: 9 x 11 inches
Location: At lower center.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen.’.
Description of Work:
1914 ( Indianapolis Museum of Art [1883- ], 4000 Michigan Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46208, Bertha G. Rush Fund (Accession #14.264) ) ;
1913 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1966-67 American Federation of Arts, New York, NY, “A Century of American Still Life Painting, 1813-1913“.
1914 John Herron Art Institute, Indianapolis, IN, “Paintings Loaned by Mr. Macbeth“, December.
1914 The Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, “Paintings by Emil Carlsen, Paul Dougherty, Frederick C. Frieseke, Childe Hassam, Williard L. Metcalf, Kenneth H. Miller, J. Alden Weir”, January 6-19.
– Indianapolis Museum of Art, Bulletin, vol. 56, no. 3-4, “Catalogue of American Paintings,” 1970. Illustration: Indianapolis Museum Catalog, 1970, P.110.
– Indianapolis Museum of Art, “Handbook of European and American Paintings to 1945,” 1981.
– John Herron Art Institute, Indianapolis, IN, Bulletin of the Art Association of Indianapolis, May, 1921, Volume 9, Number 2.
– John Herron Art Institute, Indianapolis, IN, Bulletin of the Art Association of Indianapolis, “Recent Accessions”, April, 1915, Volume 4, Number 7.
– John Herron Art Institute, Indianapolis, IN, Bulletin of the Art Association of Indianapolis, “Paintings Loaned by Mr. Macbeth,” Volume 4, Number 5.(December 1914).
– The Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, “Paintings by Emil Carlsen, Paul Dougherty, Frederick C. Frieseke, Childe Hassam, Williard L. Metcalf, Kenneth H. Miller, J. Alden Weir”, January 6-19, 1914, #4 shown as “Still Life”.
– Confirmed details by the staff of the Indianapolis Museum of Art via email to emilcarlsen.org on May 26, 2015.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
May 26, 2015
February 23, 2017