Emil Carlsen : Still life, ca.1903.
ECA record control number: 1287
Archives of American Art #: 23570031
Record level: Item
Record type: Movable work
Work title: Still life
Alternate work titles:
Work date: ca.1903 [date comes from the museum website.]
Work creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work medium: Oil on canvas
Work dimensions: 14-7/8 x 17-7/8 inches
Location: At lower right.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen.’.
Description of work:
1914 ( Worcester Art Museum, 55 Salisbury Street, Worcester, MA 01609 (Accession #1914.20) ) ;
1911 ( Macbeth Gallery, The [1892-1953], [1935-1953] 11 East Fifty-seventh Street | [1924-1934] 15 East Fifty-seventh Street | [1906-1923] 450 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY | [1892-1905] 237 Fifth Avenue in New York, NY ) ;
ca.1903 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1985 Nassau County Museum of Art, Roslyn, NY, “American artists abroad : the European experience in the nineteenth century”, June 2 – September 2.
1981 Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa, OK, “Painters of the humble truth : masterpieces of American still life 1801-1939″, September 27 – November 8.
1969 Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, MA, “Art in America, 1830-1950 : paintings, drawings, prints, sculpture from the collection of the Worcester Art Museum”, January 9 – February 28.
1966 Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, MA, “The light of day”, July 27 – September 17.
1932 Addison Gallery of American Art, Phillips Academy, Andover, PA, “American paintings in New England museums”, May 28 – June 22.
1929 Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, MA, “Modern American paintings : objective and subjective”, February 3 – 24.
1914 Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA, “One hundred and ninth annual exhibition of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts“, February 8 – March 29.
– Worcester Art Museum, website [[http://worcesterart.org]]
– “Charles Ethan Porter 1847-1923” Edited by Helen J. Fusscass, et. al., The Connecticut Gallery, Inc., Marlborough, 1987, page 39, figure 15.
– “Painters of the humble truth : masterpieces of American still life 1901-1939” by William H. Gerdts, Philbrook Art Center, 1981, page 229, figure 9.12.
– Southwest Art magazine, “An endless world of things : American still life painting to 1900” by George Schriever, February, 1981, page 50, number 16.
– “American still-life painting” by William H. Gerdts and Russell Burke, Praeger Publishers, New York, Washington, London, 1971, page 202, plate 14-8.
– Addison Gallery of American Art, Phillips Academy, Andover, PA, exhibition catalog, “American paintings in New England museums”, 1932, #27.
-“Catalogue of paintings and drawings” by Worcester Art Museum, 1922, page 168.
– “Pots and pans or studies in still-life painting” by Arthur Edwin Bye, Princeton, NJ, 1921, pages 213-222, illustrated: b&w, insert between page 216-217.
– Art and Progress, Vol. 6, No. 11, Sep., 1915, pg.426-428.
– New York Tribune, New York, NY, “Still life”, January, 11, 1914, unknown page, illustrated: b&w.
– Still life with pottery jars, 1903 [similar composition and color palette.]
– Still life [jug, pot, bottom of kettle], 1920 [similar color palette, technique and use of some of the same still life items.]
– This painting has wrongly been referred to as Harmonious a name was given to the painting when it was uploaded to the website: http://the-athenaeum.org [[http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=161528]].
– Karysa K. Norris, Curatorial Assistant of the Worcester Art Museum has confirmed provenance, exhibition history, and name via email July 1, 2015.
Digital-born document number:
Digital document provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record birth date:
July 1, 2015
Last updated: June 22, 2017 at 18:49 pm