Emil Carlsen : Still life, roses, ca.1883.
Still Life with – Roses (also called Still Life, Roses), c.1883
ECA Record Control Number: 10088
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Still life, roses
Alternate Work Titles:
2016: Still life, roses [based on dealer website]
2015: Still life with – roses [based on auction record]
before 1938: Still life, roses [based on Newhouse label]
1900: Still life [from auction catalog]
Work Date: ca.1883 [Date based on the palette and technique]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas
Work Dimensions: 16 x 20 inches
Location: At lower left.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen.’.
Description of Work:
2016 ( Debra Force Fine Art, Inc. [1999- ], 13 East 69th Street, Suite 4F, New York, NY 10021 ) ;
2015 ( Aspire Auctions [2002- ], 2310 Superior Ave #125, Cleveland OH, 44114 | 5835 Ellsworth Avenue, Pittsburgh PA, 15232 | 378 Park Ave, Chicago IL, 60022 ) ;
before 1938 Private collection of [unknown] ;
before 1938 ( Newhouse Galleries [1878-1938, 1938-], 4398 Olive Street, Saint Louis, MO | 5 East 66th Street, New York, NY 10065 ) ;
1900 Private collection of [unknown] ; [it is unclear if this citation belong here or if the Newhouse Galleries acquired the work at auction]
1900 ( American Art Association [1883-1964], [1922-1964] Madison Ave and 56th Street, New York, NY 10018 | [1883-1922] 6 East 23rd Street (South Madison Square), New York, NY 10010 ) ;
ca.1883 Private collection of Henry Riemann [1829-1900] and Johanne (Grotjahn) Riemann [1841-?], Dittmer, MO ;
ca.1883 ( Blakeslee Galleries [1885-1914], 665 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY | Hotel Lorraine, 45 Street and Fifth Avenue, New York, NY | 34 Street and Fifth Avenue, New York, NY ) ;
ca.1883 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
2015 Aspire Auctions, (online), “September 2015 Online Auction“, August 28 – September 5.
1900 American Art Association, New York, NY, “Highly attractive sale by auction of Mr. Henry Riemann’s valuable collection of American paintings, and water colors, including important and original examples by the following eminent American artists : Emil Carlsen, William L. Metcalf, Guy Rose, Theodore Robinson, Carl Ritter, B. Walter Priestman comprising every variety of subject to be sold without reserve…”, January 25-26.
– 1stDibs.com, New York, NY, Website [[http://1stdibs.com]], Accessed August 31, 2016.
– Debra Force Fine Art, Inc., New York, NY, Website [[http://debraforce.publishpath.com]], Accessed August 31, 2016.
– Aspire Auctions, online sales catalog, “September 2015 Online Auction“, August 28 – September 5, 2015, Lot #11, illustrated: color.
– American Art Association, New York, NY, “Highly attractive sale by auction of Mr. Henry Riemann’s valuable collection of American paintings, and water colors, including important and original examples by the following eminent American artists : Emil Carlsen, William L. Metcalf, Guy Rose, Theodore Robinson, Carl Ritter, B. Walter Priestman comprising every variety of subject to be sold without reserve…”, January 25-26, 1900, lot #84, not illustrated.
– Good. Surface soils, small area of flaking paint in the lower center, minor repaired tear in the lower right quarter in the area of leaves, otherwise evenly fluorescent under UV light.
– Has four Newhouse Galleries Lables. ‘M. A. Newhouse & Son” Art Importers, 4398 Olive Street, Saint Louis, Missouri’, 2 – ‘Newhouse Galleries, Paintings, Bronzes, American, Foreign, New York, Saint Louis, Chicago, Los Angeles’, ‘No. 3696, Size 16×20, Still Life, Roses, Emil Carlsen, N.A.’
2015 – $15,927.50 USD [Auction]
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
August 27, 2015
April 11, 2017