Emil Carlsen : Still life with ducks, ca.1883.
ECA record control number: 1998
Archives of American Art #: 82370042
Record level: Item
Record type: Movable work
Work title: Still life with ducks
Alternate work titles:
1999 : Still life with ducks
1975 : Still Life: Brass Pot and Fowl
1958 : Still life
Work date: ca.1883 [date based on composition and technique]
Work creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work medium: Oil on canvas
Work dimensions: 25-1/2 x 30-1/4 inches
Inscribed / signed front:
Location: At lower right.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen.’.
Archives of American Art subjects:
Animal — Bird
Animal — Bird — Duck
Still Life — Game
Still Life — Game — Bird
Still Life — Other
Still Life — Other — Cookware
Still Life — Vegetable
Still Life — Vegetable — Mushroom
Description of work:
Provenance / ownership:
1993 ( California Historical Society [1871- ], [1993- ] 678 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94105 | [1871-1993] 2090 Jackson St., San Francisco, CA 94115, The Sloss Collection (Accession# ) ) ;
1933 ( San Francisco Art Association [1871-1920] | California School of Design [1873-1905] | Mark Hopkins Institute of Art [1893-1906] | Palace of Fine Arts [1915-1945] | The Western Round Table on Modern Art  | San Francisco Art Institute [1911-1978] | San Francisco Museum of Art [1921-1970] ) ;
ca.1883 Private collection of Louis Sloss, Jr. [1860-1933], San Francisco, CA ;
ca.1883 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1999 Vance Jordan Gallery, New York, NY, “Emil Carlsen: Quiet Magic“, October 28 – December 10.
1975 Wortsman Rowe Galleries, San Francisco, CA, “The Art of Emil Carlsen 1853-1932“, January 10-February 21; Rubicon Gallery, Los Altos, CA, January 17-February 28; The El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso, TX, March 2-March 30; Robert Rice Gallery, Houston, TX, April 10-May; Coe Kerr Gallery, New York, NY, June-July; The Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego, San Diego, CA, August 20-October 10; The Norton Gallery of Art, West Palm Beach, FL, November-December.
1958 California Historical Society, San Francisco, CA, “Louis Sloss, Jr, collection of California paintings“, April – May.
– Vance Jordan Fine Art, New York, NY, exhibition catalog, “Emil Carlsen: Quiet Magic“, October 28 – December 10, 1999, #2.
– Rubicon-Wortsman Publishing, San Francisco, CA, exhibition catalog, ”The Art of Emil Carlsen 1853-1932”, 1975, #12, illustrated: b&w.
– Percy Gray by Whitton & Johnson, San Francisco, 1970, illustrated on page 45.
– California Historical Society, San Francisco, CA, exhibition catalog, “Louis Sloss, Jr, collection of California paintings“, April – May, 1958, #[unnumbered], illustrated : b&w on [unnumbered page], shown as Still life.
– California Historical Society Quarterly, “Louis Sloss, Jr., collection of California paintings” by Jean Martin, March, 1958, volume 37, number 1, pages 19-38, illustrated: b&w, page 26.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
January 4, 2015
March 8, 2017