Emil Carlsen : Still life with fish, 1897.
ECA Record Control Number: 1899
Archives of American Art #: 24150086 [Art Inventories]
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Still Life with Fish
Alternate Work Titles:
2016: Still Life with Fish
1993: Still Life with Fruit [mislabeled]
Work Date: 1897 [date from front of canvas.]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas board
Work Dimensions: 29-1/2 x 44 inches | 32-1/2 x 47-1/2 inches (unframed) | 37-3/4 x 52-3/4 inches (framed)
Location: At lower left.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen. 1897.’
Description of Work:
1995 ( Museum of Fine Arts, Houston [1900- ], 1001 Bissonnet St, Houston, TX 77005, gift of Lisa Negley Dorn in honor of Maconda B. O’Connor, Isabel B. Wilson, and Nancy B. Negley, the daughters of Alice Pratt Brown (Accession #95.322) ) ;
1993 Private collection of Lisa Negley Dorn [c.1951- ], Houston, TX ;
1993 ( Sotheby’s [1744- ], 1334 York Avenue, New York 10021 ) ;
1962 ( Detroit Institute of Arts [1885- ], 5200 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202, Gift of the Recess Club (Accession #62.1) ) ;
ca.1920s/1930s ( The Recess Club [1928-1990], 3011 W Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI 48202 ) ;
ca.1897 Private collection of [unknown] [likely a member of the Recess Club of Detroit] ;
1897 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1993 Sotheby’s, New York, NY, “sale”, May 27.
1985 Mansfield Art Center, Mansfield, OH, “The American still life from the Peales to C. A. Meurer”, March 10 – April 7.
– “Fish still life paperwork” provided by the Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, MI, January 27, 2017.
– “Emil Carlsen object list” provided by the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, TX, July 21, 2016.
– Sotheby’s New York, NY, sale catalog, “sale”, May 27, 1993, lot #28.
– Mansfield Art Center, Mansfield, OH, Exhibition catalog, “The American Still Life from the Peales to C. A. Meurer”, March 10 – April 7, 1985, #34.
– Paintings in the Detroit Institute of Arts; a checklist of the paintings acquired before June 1965 by Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, MI, 1965.
1993 – $14,950 USD
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
February 5, 2014
September 18, 2016