Emil Carlsen : Study in grey and black, ca.1907.
ECA Record Control Number: 1303
Archives of American Art #: 12000039 [Archives of American Art]
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Study in Grey and Black
Alternate Work Titles:
2016: Study in Grey and Black [assigned by ECA back to original name to help clarification]
2006: Still life with Kettle and Jug [from online auction catalog]
1909: Still Life [from illustrated magazine]
1908: Study in Grey and Black [from exhibition catalog]
Work Date: ca.1907 [dated based on exhibition date and same items and technique used in known dated painting]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas tacked over board
Work Dimensions: 20 x 24 inches
Location: At lower left.
Description of Work:
2006 Private collection of Vincent J Griski [ca.1964- ] and Cameron W Knight [1961- ], 3307 N Street NW, Washington, DC 20007 ;
2006 ( Christie’s [1766- ], Rockefeller Center, 20 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10020 ) ;
1909 ( Art Institute of Chicago [1879- ], 111 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60603 ) ;
ca.1907 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
2008 Godel & Co., New York, NY, “American Still-Life Painting of the Nineteenth Century“, April 14 – June 6.
2006 Christie’s Auction House, New York, NY, “Sale #1665”, May 25.
1916 Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn, NY, “Contemporary Swedish Exhibition from the Panama-Pacific Exposition”, date?, Detroit Museum of Art, Detroit, MI, date?.
1908 The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, “Twenty-First Annual Exhibition of Oil Paintings and Sculpture by American Artists”, October 20 – November 29.
1908 Saint Botolph Club, Boston, MA, “Paintings by Emil Carlsen“, January 6-24.
– Godel & Co., New York, NY, “American Still-Life Painting of the Nineteenth Century“, April 14 – June 6, 2008, illustration: color on page 70, shown as Still Life with Kettle and Jug.
– Christie’s Auction House, New York, NY. Auction Catalog, “Sale #1665”, May 25, 2006, lot #5.
– Paintings in the Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Picture Collection by the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1961.
– First Steps in the Enjoyment of Pictures by Maude I. G. Oliver, H. Holt and Company, New York, NY, 1920, page 65 & 131, illustrated: b&w on page 131.
– Bulletin of the Detroit Museum of Art, Detroit, MI, May, 1916, Volume 10, Number 9, pages 8-12, illustrated: b&w on page 10.
– Bulletin of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, January, 1909, Volume 2, Number 3, Illustrated: b&w, page 47.
– Saint Botolph Club, Boston, MA, Exhibition Catalog, “Paintings by Emil Carlsen“, January 6-24, 1908, #1, not illustrated.
– Study in Grey, 1906 [same still life items and similar technique and palette]
2006 – $108,000 USD
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
January 27, 2014
December 28, 2016