Emil Carlsen : Thanksgiving still life, 1891.
ECA Record Control Number: 70080795, 03940013
Archives of American Art #:
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Thanksgiving still life
Alternate Work Titles:
Work Date: 1891 [date from the front of the canvas]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas
Work Dimensions: 46 x 42 inches
Location: At lower right.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen. 1891.’.
Marking Type: Verso label
Text: ‘Melville Klauber donated this still-life to The San Diego Museum of Art in honor of his wife, Amy, who had studied with the artist. After looking around the country for an excellent example of Carlsen’s work for San Diego, Klauber settled on this picture in the collection of a longtime friend of the artist’s. Reginald Poland, director of the Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego (now The San Diego Museum of Art) when the painting was acquired, stated to the local paper, “The artist, to our way of thinking, is the leading still-life painter in this country today.” When this painting, an ode to the annual American holiday entered the collection, it was greeted with fanfare, and this appreciation was not quickly forgotten. The painting was exhibited in the important California Pacific International Exposition at the Palace of Fine Arts, San Diego, from May to November 1935.
Archives of American Art Subjects:
Animal — Bird
Animal — Bird — Turkey
Still Life — Game
Still Life — Game — Bird
Still Life — Other
Still Life — Other — Container
Still Life — Other — Cookware
Still Life — Vegetable
Still Life — Vegetable — Onion
Description of Work:
1928 ( San Diego Museum of Art [1926- ], Balboa Park, 1450 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92102, Gift of Melville Klauber [1865-1932] in memory of his wife, Amy Salz Klauber [1872-1928] (Accession #1928.80) ) ;
1928 Private collection of Melville Klauber [1865-1932], San Diego, CA, his wife, Amy Salz Klauber [1872-1928] studied under Carlsen ;
1894 Private collection of William Louis Carrigan [1868-1928], Falls Village, CT & San Francisco, CA ;
1891 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
2013 San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego, CA, “Art of the Americas, San Diego Museum of Art” December 21-23.
2012-2013 San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego, CA, “Behold, America! Art of the United States from Three San Diego Museums”, November 10, 2012 – February 10, 2013.
1999 Vance Jordan Gallery, New York, NY, “Emil Carlsen: Quiet Magic“, October 28 – December 10.
1992 Charles H. MacNider Museum, Mason City, IA, “Looking at America: An Exhibition Featuring Selections from the San Diego Museum”, August 21 – October 4.
1975 Wortsman Rowe Galleries, San Francisco, CA, “The Art of Emil Carlsen 1853-1932“, January 10-February 21; Rubicon Gallery, Los Altos, CA, January 17-February 28; The El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso, TX, March 2-March 30; Robert Rice Gallery, Houston, TX, April 10-May; Coe Kerr Gallery, New York, NY, June-July; The Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego, San Diego, CA, August 20-October 10; The Norton Gallery of Art, West Palm Beach, FL, November-December.
1935 California Pacific International Exposition at the Palace of Fine Arts, San Diego, CA, “California Pacific International Exposition at the Fine Arts, San Diego”, May 29 – November 11.
1929 Laguna Beach Art Association at The Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego, San Diego, CA, May.
– 2012 Collaboration In three parts: Forms at the San Diego Museum of Art, Figures at the Timken, Museum of Art, and Frontiers at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego ; Collection Checklist, 2012 [published for internal use only but accessed online with no restrictions via Google].
– Vance Jordan Fine Art, New York, NY, Exhibition Catalog, “Emil Carlsen: Quiet Magic“, October 28 – December 10, 1999, #7.
– Art & Antiques, “Emil Carlsen: Lyrical Impressionist” by Gertrude Sill, March-April, 1980, pg. 88-95, not illustrated, pg. 90.
– Rubicon-Wortsman Pub., San Francisco, CA, Exhibition Catalog, ”The Art of Emil Carlsen 1853-1932”, 1975, #1.
– Balboa Park San Diego, California : A Comprehensive Guide to the City’s Cultural and Recreational Center—Compiled and Written by the Southern California Writers’ Project of the Work Projects Administration by Association of Balboa Park Institutions, San Diego, CA, 1941, not illustrated.
– California Art Research, Volumne Four, Abstract from WPA Project 2874 (O.P. 65-3-3632), San Francisco, CA, January, 1937, pg. 32-33.
– Official Art Exhibition of the San Diego Museum of Art by Reginald Poland, San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego, CA, 1935, page 31, #614.
– The American Magazine of Art, New York, NY, “Fine Arts Gallery, San Diego“, May, 1929, volume 20, Number 5, page 299-301, illustrated: b&w on page 300.
[unknown newspaper clipping, 1935.]
“The artist, to our way of thinking, is the leading still-life painter in this country today.”
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
August 31, 2014
February 8, 2017