Emil Carlsen : The brook, 1926.
ECA Record Control Number: 5265
Archives of American Art #: 80041604
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: The Brook
Alternate Work Titles:
The Trout Brook
Work Date: 1926 [date from front of painting but can’t tell if it is 1906 or 1926]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas
Work Dimensions: 34 x 34 inches
Location: At lower right.
Text: ‘Emil Carlsen. 1906.’. [It is unclear if the date is 1906 or 1926]
Description of Work:
ca.1973 Private collection of Mr. & Mrs. Reese D. Barker ;
1973 ( Mann Galleries [1973-?], 2951 South Bayshore Drive, Sailboat Bay, Penthouse III, Miami, FL 33133 ) .
1967 ( Vixseboxse Art Galleries [1922-ca.2013], [1979- ] 12413 Cedar Road and Fairmount Blvd, Cleveland Heights, OH | [1935-1979] Howe mansion, 2258 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH | [1922-1935] Vickers Building, Euclid and East 65th Street, Cleveland, OH ) .
ca.1934 ( Gage Gallery, The [1910-1941], [1935-1941] 13100 Shaker Square, Cleveland, OH 44120 | [1910-1935] 2258 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44112 ) .
1926 ( Macbeth Gallery, The [1892-1953], [1935-1953] 11 East Fifty-seventh Street | [1924-1934] 15 East Fifty-seventh Street | [1906-1923] 450 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY | [1892-1905] 237 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY ) .
1926 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1975 Wortsman Rowe Galleries, San Francisco, CA, “The Art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932,” January 10-February 21, Rubicon Gallery, Los Altos, CA, January 17-February 28, The El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso, TX, March 2-March 30, Robert Rice Gallery, Houston, TX, April 10-May, Coe Kerr Gallery, New york, NY, June-July, The Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego, San Diego, CA, August 20-October 10, The Norton Gallery of Art, West Palm Beach, FL, November-December.
1973 Mann Galleries, Miami, FL, “American Art Selections“, 1973.
1934 Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, “An Exhibition of “Collectors’ Examples” of American Painting Received for Sale from Private Owners and Estates”, October 16-30.
– Rubicon-Wortsman Pub., San Francisco, CA, Exhibition Catalog, ”The Art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932”, 1975, #8, illustrated: B&W.
– Mann Galleries, Miami, FL, Exhibition Catalog, “American Art Selections“, 1973, page 22, illustrated: color.
– Antiques magazine, June, 1967.
– Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, Exhibition catalog, “An Exhibition of “Collectors’ Examples” of American Painting Received for Sale from Private Owners and Estates”, October 16-30, 1934.
– Macbeth Gallery, New York, NY, Exhibition catalog, “Art Portfolio”, 1926, illustrated: b&w.
– Peter A. Juley & Son Collection, Archives and Special Collections, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC, Image #JUL J0047822.
– Brook Elm, ca.1910 [same brook from slightly different vantage point and similar color palette and technique]
– Trees and Water, ca.1928 [same brook from slightly different vantage point using different color palette and technique]
1926 – $2,500 USD.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
October 10, 2014
December 22, 2016