Emil Carlsen : The lazy sea, ca.1906.
ECA Record Control Number: 12943
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: The Lazy Sea
Alternate Work Titles:
A Lazy Sea
Work Date: ca.1906 [date based on earliest known exhibition.]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil
Work Dimensions: ? x ? inches
Inscribed/Signed Front: unknown
Description of Work:
after 1910 de-accessioned with no record. Private collection of [unknown] .
ca.1906 ( Brooklyn Museum of Art [1895- ], 200 Eastern Pkwy, Brooklyn, NY 11238, donated by Mrs. Lilla Brown in memory of her husband the Late John W. Brown [1867-1941] ) ;
1906 ( The John B[lackburne] Woodward [1835-1896] Memorial Fund Collection, New York, NY ) ;
ca.1906 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist
1906 The Society of American Artists, New York, NY, “28th Yearly Exhibition“, March 17 – April 22.
– Rider’s new york city and vicinity, including newark, yonkers and jersey city by Fremont Rider, Frederic Taber Cooper, Mary Alden Hopkins, and others, Henry holt and company, New York, 1916, page 432, not illustrated.
– Catalogue of Paintings by William H Goodyear and A D Savage, Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, Brooklyn, NY, 1910, page 16, not illustrated.
– The Twenty-second Year Book of The Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences by The Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, Brooklyn, NY, 1909-1910, page 74, not illustrated.
– The City of New York, Department of Parks. Report For The Year 1906 by the City of New York, Department of Parks, New York, NY, 1907, page 164, not illustrated.
– The New York Times, New York, NY, “Unveil Kaiser’s Gift To Brooklyn Museum“, June 17, 1906, not illustrated.
– The New York Times, New York, NY, “The Society of Artists.”, Friday, March 16, 1906, page 3, not illustrated.
– The Society of American Artists, New York, NY, Exhibition Catalog, “28th Yearly Exhibition“, March 17 – April 22, 1906, #374, not illustrated.
– We believe we probably have an image of this painting listed as another painting name but we can not find any image of the painting associated with this specific name and hence have set up a new entry for it until we can research further.
– We have contacted the Museum and they do not seem to have records, but will try again.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
August 12, 2016
January 16, 2017