Emil Carlsen Towering Trees, 1928
ECA Record Control Number: 7995
Archives of American Art #: -none-
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Towering Trees
Alternate Work Titles:
ca.1975: Towering Trees [from dealer information]
1932: Wood Interior [from exhibition catalog]
Work Date: 1928 [date from lower right front canvas in pencil notes.]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas laid on masonite
Work Dimensions: 32 x 24 inches [unframed] | 31-1/2 x 23-1/2 inches [unframed] | 38-1/2 x 30-1/2 inches [frmaed]
Location: At lower left.
Text: ‘Emil. Carlsen.’.
Description of Work:
ca.1975 Private collection of [unknown] .
ca.1975 ( Marbella Gallery, Inc. [1975- ], 28 E 72nd Street, New York, NY 10021 ) ;
1975 Estate of Florence B. G. S. Carlsen [1903-1974], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s daughter-in-law ;
1966 Private collection of Florence B. G. S. Carlsen [1903-1974], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s daughter-in-law ;
before 1966 Estate of Dines Carlsen [1901-1966], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s son ;
1932 Private collection of Luella May (Ruby) Carlsen [c.1869-before 1966], New York, NY, the artist’s wife ;
ca.1931 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1932 Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn, NY, “Paintings and Sculpture by the Society of Scandinavian American Artists with a Memorial Group of Paintings by Emil Carlsen with works by Dines Carlsen“, April 12 – May 15.
– Archive of Works by Emil Carlsen compiled by Dines Carlsen, 24 pages, hand-drawn sketches and notes probably by Dines, provided by Linda Hay, ca.1960, illustrated: B&W, page 10.
– Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn, NY, exhibition catalog, “Paintings and Sculpture by the Society of Scandinavian American Artists with a Memorial Group of Paintings by Emil Carlsen with works by Dines Carlsen“, April 12 – May 15, 1932.
– Clearing Beyond The Trees, 1928 [similar location/trees, technique and palette]
– Painted in Falls Village, CT in 1928.
– Frame: Wood & gessoed gilt frame.
– Image provided by Lynn Magnusson, ASA, AAA of The Magnusson Group [1994- ] | Personal Property Consultants, 920 Mount Kemble Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07960 via email February 11, 2017.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
February 5, 2015
February 11, 2017