Emil Carlsen : Wood interior, 1931.
ECA Record Control Number: 3000
Archives of American Art #: 63001136, 83940138
Record Level: Item
Record Type: Movable Work
Work Title: Wood interior
Alternate Work Titles:
1981: Wood interior [from auction catalog]
1975: Wood interior [from exhibition catalog]
1931: Wood interior no. 1 [from exhibition catalog]
Work Date: 1931 [date from Dines Carlsen notebooks on his father’s art works]
Work Creator: Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Work Medium: Oil on canvas
Work Dimensions: 32 x 24 inches
Inscribed/Signed Front: unknown
Description of Work:
1981 Private collection of [unknown] ;
1981 ( Sotheby’s [1744- ], 1334 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021 ) ;
1975 ( Wortsman/Rowe Fine Arts, Inc. [1972-1975], 516 Sutter Street, San Francisco, California 94102 ) ;
1975 Estate of Florence B. G. S. Carlsen [1903-1974], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s daughter-in-law ;
1966 Private collection of Florence B. G. S. Carlsen [1903-1974], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s daughter-in-law ;
before 1966 Estate of Dines Carlsen [1901-1966], Falls Village, CT, the artist’s son ;
1932 Private collection of Luella May (Ruby) Carlsen [c.1869-before 1966], New York, NY, the artist’s wife ;
1931 ( Warren E. Cox Galleries [1928-1931], 744 Madison Avenue, New York, NY ) ;
1931 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist .
1975 Wortsman Rowe Galleries, San Francisco, CA, “The Art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932“, January 10-February 21; Rubicon Gallery, Los Altos, CA, January 17-February 28; The El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso, TX, March 2-March 30; Robert Rice Gallery, Houston, TX, April 10-May; Coe Kerr Gallery, New York, NY, June-July; The Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego, San Diego, CA, August 20-October 10; The Norton Gallery of Art, West Palm Beach, FL, November-December.
1931 Warren E. Cox Galleries, 744 Madison Avenue, New York, NY, “Exhibition of Paintings by Emil Carlsen and Dines Carlsen”, February 2-28.
– Sotheby’s, New York, NY, sale catalog, “sale #4628 M”, May 29, 1981, lot #25, illustrated.
– Rubicon-Wortsman Pub., San Francisco, CA, exhibition catalog, ”Art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932”, 1975, #273, illustrated: b&w.
– “Archive of works by Emil Carlsen compiled by Dines Carlsen”, 24 pages, hand-drawn sketches and notes probably by Dines, provided by Linda Hay, ca.1930s, illustrated: b&w, page 14.
– Warren E. Cox Galleries, New York, NY, exhibition catalog, “Exhibition of paintings by Emil Carlsen and Dines Carlsen”, February 2-28, 1931, #11, not illustrated.
– Painted in Falls Village, CT in 1931.
– Sotheby’s originally thought the painting was created in ca.1915 but in Dines’ notebooks he says it is 1931.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
February 4, 2015
April 28, 2017