Emil Carlsen : Meeting of the seas, 1919.
Meeting of the Seas (aka: The Meeting of the Two Seas ; Sea at Skagen), 1919
Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Oil on canvas
46-3/4 x 58 inches
Signed: At lower right. ‘Emil. Carlsen.’.
ECA Control #: 3959
Archives of American Art #: 83940005
1989 Private collection of Helen Goldman [1922-2004], Philadelphia, PA
1989 Sotheby’s [1744- ], 1334 York Avenue at 72nd Street, New York, NY 10021
c.1952 Private collection of Dr. William Frederick Casteen [1924-2011] & Grace Virginia Casteen [1914-1997], Bakersfield, CA & Kansas City, KS
1923 Private collection of Charles Lansing Baldwin [1879-1952], New York, NY
1919 Emil Carlsen [1848-1932], the artist
1989 Sotheby’s, New York, NY, May 24.
1975 Wortsman Rowe Galleries, San Francisco, CA, “The Art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932“, January 10-February 21; Rubicon Gallery, Los Altos, CA, January 17-February 28; The El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso, TX, March 2-March 30; Robert Rice Gallery, Houston, TX, April 10-May; Coe Kerr Gallery, New York, NY, June-July; The Fine Arts Gallery of San Diego, San Diego, CA, August 20-October 10; The Norton Gallery of Art, West Palm Beach, FL, November-December.
1923 The Art Club of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, “Exhibition of Oil Paintings by Lilian Westcott Hale, Emil Carlsen, and Charles H. Davis“, February 24 – March 18.
1919 Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI, “Annual Fall Exhibition of American Painting”, October 10 – November 5.
– “Soren Emil Carlsen: The Hammershoi of Manhattan” by Kim Lykke Jensen, Narayana Press, Gylling, Denmark, 2008, illustrated: color, page 68, figure 50.
– Sotheby’s, New York, NY, Sales Catalog, May 24, 1989, Lot #100.
– Rubicon-Wortsman Pub., San Francisco, CA, Exhibition Catalog, ”Art of Emil Carlsen: 1853-1932”, 1975, #9.
– The Art Club of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, Exhibition Catalog, “Exhibition of Oil Paintings by Lilian Westcott Hale, Emil Carlsen, and Charles H. Davis“, February 24 – March 18, 1923, #17, not illustrated.
– “Bulletin of the Rhode Island School of Design” by Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI, Volume 7, number 9, 1919.
– Peter A. Juley & Son Collection, Archives and Special Collections, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC, Image #JUL J0046813.
– Painted in Skagen, Denmark.
1989 – $37,400 USD.
Digital-born Document Number:
Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.
Creative Commons Corporation shareAlike (sa) license. Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.
Record Birth Date:
August 27, 2014
September 10, 2016