EMIL CARLSEN ARCHIVES

Emil Carlsen Archives is a Non-profit organization running the world's largest visual archive of the work of painter Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston [1870- ]

January 1, 1870

ECA Control Number: 16442

Record Level: Listing

Record Type: Art Museum/Institution

Museum/Institution Name: Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

Aka: MFA ; The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston

Location(s): 465 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115

Founded: 1870
Closed/Acquired: n/a

About:

The Museum of Fine Arts (or MFA) in Boston, Massachusetts, is the fourth largest museum in the United States. It contains more than 450,000 works of art, making it one of the most comprehensive collections in the Americas. With more than one million visitors a year, it is the 55th most-visited art museum in the world as of 2014.

Founded in 1870, the museum moved to its current location in 1909. The museum is affiliated with the Tufts School of the Museum of Fine Arts.

History
1870–1907
The Museum of Fine Arts was founded in 1870 and opened in 1876, with most of its initial collection taken from the Boston Athenæum Art Gallery. Francis Davis Millet, a local artist, was instrumental in starting the Art School affiliated with the museum, and in appointing Emil Otto Grundmann as its first director. The museum was originally located in a highly ornamented brick Gothic Revival building in Copley Square designed by John Hubbard Sturgis and Charles Brigham which was noted for its massed architectural terracotta in an American building. It was built almost entirely of red brick and terracotta with a small amount of stone in its base. The brick was produced by the Peerless Brick Company of Philadelphia and the terracotta was imported from England.

1907–2008
In 1907, plans were laid to build a new home for the museum on Huntington Avenue in Boston’s Fenway-Kenmore neighborhood near the renowned Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Museum trustees decided to hire architect Guy Lowell to create a design for a museum so that could be built in stages as funding was obtained for each phase. Two years later, the first section of Lowell’s neoclassical design was completed. It featured a 500-foot (150 m) façade of granite and a grand rotunda. The museum moved to its new location later that year; the Copley Square Hotel eventually would replace the old building.

The second phase of construction built a wing along the The Fens to house paintings galleries. It was funded entirely by Maria Antoinette Evans Hunt, the wife of wealthy business magnate Robert Dawson Evans, and opened in 1915. From 1916 through 1925, the noted artist John Singer Sargent painted the frescoes that adorn the rotunda and the associated colonnades. Numerous additions enlarged the building throughout the years, including the Decorative Arts wing in 1928 (again enlarged in 1968) and the Norma Jean Calderwood Garden Court and Terrace in 1997. The West Wing, designed by I. M. Pei, opened in 1981, and was renamed the Linde Family Wing for Contemporary Art in 2008. This wing now houses the museum’s cafe, restaurant, and gift shop as well as a special exhibition space.

2008–present
Tenshin-en, the museum’s Japanese garden
In the mid-2000s, the museum launched a major effort to renovate and expand its facilities. In a seven-year fundraising campaign between 2001 and 2008 for a new wing, the endowment, and operating expenses, the museum managed to total over $500 million, in addition to acquiring over $160 million worth of art. During the global financial crisis between 2007 and 2012, the museum’s budget was trimmed by $1.5 million and the museum increased revenues by conducting traveling exhibitions, which included a loan exhibition sent to the for-profit Bellagio in Las Vegas in exchange for $1 million. In 2011, Moody’s Investors Service calculated that the museum had over $180 million in outstanding debt. However, the agency cited growing attendance, a large endowment, and positive cash flow as reasons to believe that the museum’s finances would become stable in the near future.

In 2011, the museum put eight paintings by Monet, Renoir, Pissarro, Sisley, Gauguin, and others on sale at Sotheby’s, bringing in a total of $21.6 million, to pay for Man at His Bath by Gustave Caillebotte at a cost reported to be more than $15 million.

The renovation included a new Art of the Americas Wing to feature artwork from North, South, and Central America. In 2006, the groundbreaking ceremonies took place. The wing and adjoining Ruth and Carl J. Shapiro Family Courtyard were designed in a restrained, contemporary style by the London-based architectural firm Foster and Partners, under the directorship of Thomas T. Difraia and CBT/Childs Bertman Tseckares Architects. The landscape architecture firm Gustafson Guthrie Nichol redesigned the Huntington Avenue and Fenway entrances, gardens, access roads, and interior courtyards.

The wing opened on November 20, 2010 with free admission to the public. Mayor Thomas Menino declared it “Museum of Fine Arts Day”, and more than 13,500 visitors attended the opening. The 12,000-square-foot (1,100 m2) glass-enclosed courtyard features a 42.5-foot (13.0 m) high glass sculpture, titled the Lime Green Icicle Tower, by Dale Chihuly. In 2014, the Art of the Americas Wing was recognized for its high architectural achievement by being awarded the Harleston Parker Medal, by the Boston Society of Architects.

In 2015, the museum renovated its Japanese garden, Tenshin-en. The garden, which originally opened in 1988, was designed by Japanese professor Kinsaku Nakane.[where?] The garden’s kabukimon-style entrance gate was built by Chris Hall of Massachusetts, using traditional Japanese carpentry techniques.

Collection
The Museum of Fine Arts holds one of the most comprehensive collections in the world, and possesses materials from a wide variety of art movements and cultures. The museum maintains one of the largest online databases in the world, with information on over 346,000 items from its collection, accompanied with digitized images.

Some highlights of the collection include:

Egyptian artifacts including sculptures, sarcophagi, and jewelry

French impressionist and post-impressionist works by artists such as Paul Gauguin, Manet, Renoir, Degas, Monet, Van Gogh, Cézanne

18th- and 19th-century American art, including many works by John Singleton Copley, Winslow Homer, John Singer Sargent, and Gilbert Stuart

Chinese painting, calligraphy and imperial Chinese art, including some of the most treasured paintings in Chinese history

The largest museum collection of Japanese works under one roof in the world outside Japan,[citation needed] including the Edward S. Morse collection of 5,000 pieces of Japanese pottery

The Rothschild Collection – over 130 objects from the Austrian branch of the Rothschild family. Donated by Bettina Burr and other heirs

The libraries at the Museum of Fine Arts house 320,000 items. The main branch, the William Morris Hunt Memorial Library, named after the noted American artist, is located off-site in Horticultural Hall.

Citation:  “Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.”  Wikipedia.  Updated October 9, 2016.  Accessed November 27, 2016.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Fine_Arts,_Boston

WORKS BY EMIL CARLSEN

 

LIST OF EXHIBITIONS (5)

AFTER CARLSEN’S DEATH (0)

DURING CARLSEN’S LIFETIME (5)
1893 Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA, “Paintings and Drawings”, Summer.
1888 Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA, “Works of Art Exhibited on the Second Floor”, Winter, 1888-1889.
1886 Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA, “Sixth Annual Exhibition of Contemporary Art”, 1886. Shown “Young Girl Preparing Poultry (15), 1883” (68×31).
1885 Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA, “Loan Exhibition”, January. Shown “Our Roses”.
1883 Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA, “Fourth Annual Exhibition of Contemporary American Art“, October 16 – November 27.

Document Information

Digital-born Document Number:
ECA.2016.16442

Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.

Document License:
Creative Commons Corporation  shareAlike (sa) license.  Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use.  It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.

Image License:
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.

Record Birth Date:
November 27, 2016.

Last Update:
November 27, 2016.

©2013-2017 Emil Carlsen Archives

Digital-born Publication Title: Emil Carlsen Archives
Publication Subtitle: World's Largest Visual Reference Dedicated to the Preservation of the Work of Danish-American Impressionist/Realist Painter, Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Library of Congress Subject Authority Heading: Carlsen, Emil, 1853-1932
Emil Carlsen LC control no.: n 85141186
Publication Type: Online Integrating Resource
Language: English
Creator/Author: Emil Carlsen Archives
Published by: Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, New York, NY 10011
Edition: First
Frequency of Updates: Daily
Publish Date: 2013 –
End Date: none, continuing
Hosting: Single server (no mirrors)

MARC Organization Code: 41959
MARC Org Code: NyNyECA
MARC Org Code: normalized: nynyeca
MARC Org Code: ISIL: US-NyNyECA
Publisher ISSN : forthcoming