Emil Carlsen Archives is a Non-profit organization running the world's largest visual archive of the work of painter Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]

Tweed Museum of Art [1950- ]

January 1, 1950

ECA Control Number: 18316

Record Level: Listing

Record Type: Art Museum/Institution

Museum/Institution Name: Tweed Museum of Art

Aka: Tweed Museum

Location(s): University of Minnesota Duluth, 1201 Ordean Ct, Duluth, MN 55812

Founded: 1950
Closed/Acquired: n/a


“The Tweed Museum of Art is a museum located on the campus of the University of Minnesota Duluth, in Duluth, Minnesota.

The Tweed Museum of Art was established in 1950 when Alice Tweed Tuohy, widow of George P. Tweed, donated their house and an approximately 500-piece American and European art collection to the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) to enrich the lives of the people in the academic and civic communities of the region.[1] Following its initial operation from 1950-58 (out of the Tweed home), a museum facility was constructed on the UMD campus in 1958, with funds donated primarily by Mrs. Tweed and her daughter, Bernice Brickson. The museum has been expanded and renovated four times between 1965 and 2008.

Today, the museum operates in a 33,000 square-foot facility with 15,000 square feet of exhibit space and offers nine galleries to service an average of 33,000 visitors each year. Of great artistic, cultural, regional and historical significance, the collection is the focus of all museum activities. It contains 15th-21st-century European, American and world art in all media by artists of regional, national and international importance, including outstanding work by artists from the Upper Midwest and Minnesota. Artists in the collection include Thomas Hart Benton, Charles Biederman, Frederick Childe Hassam, Anna Hyatt Huntington, Jean-Francois Millet, Robert Motherwell, John Henry Twachtman and Helen Turner.

The collection also features painting and illustrations about the Royal Canadian Mounted Police that were donated by the Potlatch Corp., including works by Arnold Friberg.[2]

In 2007, the museum acquired the Richard E. and Dorothy Rawlings Nelson Collection of American Indian Art, an acquisition that opened new programmatic territories. By establishing a modestly comprehensive historical canon, the Nelson collection opened the museum to build upon it by collecting contemporary (particularly Woodland) American Indian arts.

Beyond its region’s borders, Tweed enjoys relationships with museums around the world. Artwork circulates from the Tweed collection both nationally and internationally. Recent world exhibitions featuring artwork from Tweed’s collection have taken place at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian, at the Prado in Madrid, Spain, at the Complesso del Vittoriano in Rome, Italy, and at prefectural museums throughout Japan.”

Citation: “Tweed Museum of Art.”  Wikipedia.  Updated December 11, 2016.  Accessed January 22, 2017.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweed_Museum_of_Art






Document Information

Digital-born Document Number:

Digital Document Provenance:
Original compiled and researched document by the Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, Suite 4E, New York, NY 10011.

Document License:
Creative Commons Corporation  shareAlike (sa) license.  Some of the information contained within this document may hold further publication restrictions depending on final use.  It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine.

Image License:
The author of this artwork died more than 70 years ago. According to U.S. Copyright Law, copyright expires 70 years after the author’s death. In other countries, legislation may differ.

Record Birth Date:
January 22, 2017

Last Update:
January 22, 2017

©2013-2017 Emil Carlsen Archives

Digital-born Publication Title: Emil Carlsen Archives
Publication Subtitle: World's Largest Visual Reference Dedicated to the Preservation of the Work of Danish-American Impressionist/Realist Painter, Emil Carlsen [1848-1932]
Library of Congress Subject Authority Heading: Carlsen, Emil, 1853-1932
Emil Carlsen LC control no.: n 85141186
Publication Type: Online Integrating Resource
Language: English
Creator/Author: Emil Carlsen Archives
Published by: Emil Carlsen Archives, 266 West 21st Street, New York, NY 10011
Edition: First
Frequency of Updates: Daily
Publish Date: 2013 –
End Date: none, continuing
Hosting: Single server (no mirrors)

MARC Organization Code: 41959
MARC Org Code: NyNyECA
MARC Org Code: normalized: nynyeca
Publisher ISSN : forthcoming